May 7, 2012

Fixing laggy HD video playback

I downloaded a 1080p video but it played poorly on my notebook PC (1.6ghz Atom with Intel GMA). I also tried to play it on my old desktop PC (2.4ghz Pentium 4, Intel GMA) but it still plays like crap.

I tried different players too. In VLC, the video keeps pausing and it feels like I'm watching a slideshow. In Windows Media Player, the video plays smooth but it is not synchronized with the audio.

I tried the solution stated here and I'm glad to say that it worked!

This is what I did:
1. I uninstalled K-Lite Codec Pack, downloaded Haali Media Splitter and DivX codec, and Media Player Classic.
2. I installed Haali Media Splitter but unchecked the associations with mp4 and mkv.
3. I installed DivX codec (it's a web installer) and unchecked all other options except the 'DivX codec' option.
4. I opened Media Player Classic, went to View > Options > Playback > Output, then under 'DirectShow' click on 'overlay mixer'.
5. Finally, I opened the 1080p HD video on Media Player and it played back smoothly now.

The only problems I encountered were DivX's incompatibility with Windows 2000 and people with no internet access might resort to the offline installer of DivX codec.

Note that I only tried this on my Windows 7 Notebook PC. I do not guarantee that this will work on Windows XP.