August 13, 2012

Quick Anime Review 2: Haganai, Papakiki, Oreimo

A friend of mine recommended that I watch Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!, and Ore No Imouto Ga Konna Ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai (titles nowadays..). Keep in mind that I'm not an otaku or hardcore anime fan but I'll write here my opinions as I watched them.

Also I noticed recently that these animes has a shorter title made probably by the fans.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai)


The first thing that caught my eye was the glittery and glossy graphics and the best character designs I've seen in a while. Obvious CG effects on the bus and scenery. The soundtrack was OK but nothing dimemorable. The core of the plot was about finding the protagonist's best friend. I've already seen lots of anime with this plot (Nogizaka, Ninomiya-kun) and it's kinda getting old. However, they made a few changes so it did stand out a little from the crowd. Did I also mentioned that the characters were so KAWAII!

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! (Papakiki)


The graphics and character design took a step back compared to Haganai but offered a unique story. The plot feature the struggles of a college uncle while taking care of three nieces. It still has a fraction of the childhood friend story but it's not really an important part. The characters are alright and there's this one character who looks like someone from HOTD. I also love the soundtrack of this anime.

Ore No Imouto Ga Konna Ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai (Oreimo)


Of the three anime I've watched, I enjoyed Ore No Imouto's plot the most. Though not completely unique (otaku plot was also used in Nogizaka) and is similar to Haruhi Suzumiya, the characters were distinct and interesting, the conflict was natural, and funny dialogs. I like conversatino between Kirino and Kuroneko and speaking of the black cat, she has that Rozen Maiden aura and also reminds me of Kobato from Haganai; even her background music is Rozen Maiden inspired. The eyecatchers for each episode alludes to other anime. For graphics, this is the last placer on the trio.



Ranking:

Graphics:
1. Haganai
2. Papakiki
3. Oreimo

Story:
1. Oreimo
2. Papakiki
3. Haganai

Originality of Plot:
1. Papakiki
2. Oreimo; tied with
2. Haganai

Originality of Characters:
1. Haganai
2. Oreimo
3. Papakiki

Soundtrack:
1. Papakiki
2. Oreimo
3. Haganai