May 11, 2010

Instruments Build Musicians


I got interested in music thanks to my already ten year old Casio LK-50 Keyboard. I always enjoyed fiddling around with it and learned about music through it (I memorized all chord formation by just reading the user manual). I'm pleased with its feature set with pre made accompaniments and wide selection of sound patches with 100 built-in songs. This is also where I am introduced to the world of MIDI music.



That's until I got a chance to use a Yamaha Clavinova. This fine piece of instrument seemed to have served the Church through the years and it looks a bit aged. It even has a floppy disk drive. When I press a key, I was amazed by the quality of the sound. It sounded like a real piano. I played with it and got really satisfied with its performance. Everything I play sounds like I'm already a professional pianist. It added depth to every note and it also has that sustain pedal that makes my chords and notes sound smooth and grand. I once played 'Kiss The Rain' on the Clavinova and it sounded really good. Whenever I play it on my Casio, it sounds erratic because the lack of sustain pedal, and sounds unrealistic and monotonous because of the way it produces sound (prerecorded samples). Ever since then, whenever I play my Casio keyboard, I feel that as if I'm playing with a toy and not an instrument.

Let's say, if you give an unskilled musician the finest instrument and a skillful musician a cheap instrument, who will produce a better sounding music?

Now, I long at one point of my life, to own a Yamaha Clavinova. But I will never give up my Casio. It introduced me to the world of music. Its portability allowed me to bring it where I need it. However, the time has come that I have matured my skills and have to explore more beyond Frequency Modulated sounds, and unexpressive melodies.